Monday, August 25, 2014

Carpe Diem #547, Flame


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

everlasting flame
burns for those who are unknown
our saviors

© Chèvrefeuille

Flame is our prompt for today and this haiku/senryu was the first thing which came in mind. I remembered the  "Unknown Soldier" and I recall that I have written about him earlier on my personal weblog Chèvrefeuille's Haiku-blog ...

Here is that haiku:

unknown soldier
slaughtered on the battlefield
no more dreaming

© Chèvrefeuille

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Moscow
The everlasting flame? Is that the same flame about which the verse by Khalil Gibran is? Let us look at that verse.

[...] "I am the flame and I am the dry bush, and one part of me consumes the other part". [...]

As we look at this verse, we can say it's not about the "everlasting flame". I think it's more like the "Burning Bush" which Moses encountered in the time before the great Exodus of God's People. Well ... I think I leave it to your imagination this time and I hope this (small) post will inspire you to write new haiku, senryu, tanka, kyoka or haibun.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until August 28th at noon (CET). I will publish our new post, a new GW-post, later on. For now ... have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment