Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Carpe Diem Tanka Splendor #22 Teika's 8th Tanka Writing Technique - Novel Treatment (prompt: blues)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our Tanka Splendor month. Today the Tanka Writing Technique by Teika is Novel Treatment and the prompt to use is blues.

I will give you a short description of this technique and an example of a tanka in which this technique is used.

Novel treatment - Using an unusual or original poetic conception

Among the 26 examples is the poem by Fujiwara Motozane (ca 950) from the Shinkokinshū, #11:1060:
namidagawa / mi mo uku bakari / nagaruedo / kienu wa hito no / omoi narikeri
a river of tears
floats my body off
on its current
but it cannot quell the fire
you have set in my heart


As we look closer to this tanka (or waka) we can see in the first lines what is meant here "a river of tears floats my body off" This sounds unusual, but it is used for poetic conception to make the emotion stronger in this tanka.

River of Tears

I couldn't come up with a tanka for this Tanka Writing Technique, so today no tanka written by me. Maybe later.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until November 27th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next episode, crows, later on. For now ... have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I like this prompt a lot - blues is very emotional too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visual pulled me in. Thanks as always Kristjaan.

    ReplyDelete